Monday, June 2, 2008

Twin Ghosts

The Twin Ghosts The kids kept swearing up and down that there were ghosts in the house. I never knew what they were talking about, just thought they were being imaginative kids. But once the house was pretty much empty of all but my computer and desk and I was telecommuting one morning, I kept hearing a noise that kind of sounded like rats scratching somewhere. There were loose boxes up by the wall, so I thought it might be in there. Went on a box kicking stomp, but it didn't stop. Then I realized it was above me. And no matter how much noise I made, it never stopped. So my first thought was rats in the attic.

At that point, I considered going up in the attic with a baseball bat and resolve this problem. But then had some visions of a bad Steven King horror story. Or Monty Pythonish ("Big Sharp Pointy Teeth") so decided against that, left that day still thinking they were rats.

A few days later while moving some stuff out front of the house, I spotted a hole that I had never noticed before. I was staring intently at it trying to get my eyes to focus enough to determine if it was a hole or just a shadow, when I realized that something in there looked like a face. As I tilted my head, so did it. Didn't have my camera at that point.

Went back a few more times with my camera, but to no avail.

But today I saw them and was actually able to get a few shots. One of them was even getting curious enough I thought it was going to come down and see me for a little while. They are two small raccoons, about the size of a small cat. Haven't seen the mother at all. Figured she would have come out behind them, but I never saw her.

So I guess the kids really were hearing Ghosts. The house was haunted after all.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Love these shots! Isn't it amazing what lives in our homes and we don't ever see or hear it.

jbaccus said...

Yeah, I think they have been up there probably before christmas and we never really heard them. But then there is no space above the master bedroom, so that is probably why I never heard them anyway.

Kerry Schultz said...

That is so funny! Great that you were able to get it on film :)! How cute - but I'm sure they can do some damage if left to their own devices...

C Schultz said...

I can NOT believe you were able to get that photo!!!! That is amazing. I'm so glad it was you and not me cause I would have completely freaked out! The only animal issue we have had here was pretty sick. After the snow melted, I moved the trampoline over a bit and saw something really weird. A frozen, completely flat dead mouse. Weird!

Shad said...

i like big pointy teeth and now i know what u were talking about