Sunday, September 28, 2008

Red Rock Overnight Camping Trip

Originally I had planned on setting up a tent for the kids to sleep in and I would just sleep outside on the cot. But since we end up getting up to Red Rock around 8pm and there was no moon that night, it was really dark. The weather was beautiful though (no wind, not hot, and not to cold). So I asked the kids if they were ok with sleeping on the air mattress in the back of my truck and it was an instant adventure for them. Jordyn, Tanner and Dalton each slept in the back of the truck on the air mattress so they could look up at the stars during the night. Shad and I slept on the cots.


It was quite all night long with very clear sky's. a sliver of a moon actually came out around 5am. It was a very peaceful sunrise. But one the sun came up, it started to get hot. 98 degrees by 8:30am.

I let the kids explore all the crevices and winding paths in the canyon face. They were having a blast exploring and laying "claim" to all the "houses" they could find.




Around 10:30am I decided it was getting a little hot and that we should go up to Burrow Schmidt tunnel and explore it. Much cooler inside there. After walking through the tunnel and back we headed back home.


The kids seemed to have really enjoyed the trip, minus some skinned elbows, bruised butts and all the dirt and grime you can handle for a long time.

1 comment:

C Schultz said...

My kids would have a blast there. Hummmmm, that will have to go on our list of things to do next time we come.